Institut Pasteur, Paris
Mechanistic insights into physiological signaling pathways mediated by actinobacterial Ser/Thr protein kinases
Once thought to be essentially confined to eukaryotic organisms, Ser/Thr phosphosignalling is currently known to also play important roles in prokaryotes. Thus, the number of genes coding for Hanks-type Ser/Thr protein kinases (STPKs) equals or even exceeds that of two component systems in several actinobacteria. Among these, Mycobacterium tuberculosis has possibly become one of the most studied organisms for the role of STPK-mediated signaling in prokaryotes. During this seminar, I will present some examples of our work on O-phosphorylation mechanisms involved in actinobacterial metabolism and cell division. The results illustrate an emerging landscape in which conserved – eukaryotic-like – STPKs can be engaged in unique – non-eukaryotic-like – signaling mechanisms.
- Bruch EM, Vilela P, Lexa-Sapart N, Yang L, Raynal B, Alzari PM, Bellinzoni M (2020) Actinobacteria challenge the paradigm: a unique protein architecture for a well-known central metabolic complex. bioRxiv 2020.07.24.212647
- Sogues A, Martinez M, Gaday Q, Ben-Assaya M, Graña M, Voegele A, VanNieuwenhze M, England P, Haouz A, Chenal A, Trépout S, Duran R, Wehenkel AM, Alzari PM (2020) Essential dynamic interdependence of FtsZ and SepF for Z-ring and septum formation in Corynebacterium glutamicum. Nat Commun 11: 1641
- Bellinzoni M, Wehenkel AM, Durán R, Alzari PM (2019) Novel mechanistic insights into physiological signaling pathways mediated by mycobacterial Ser/Thr protein kinases. Genes Immun 20: 383-393
- Wagner T, André-Leroux G, Hindie V, Barilone N, Lisa MN, Hoos S, Raynal B, Vulliez-Le Normand B, O’Hare HM, Bellinzoni M, Alzari PM (2019) Structural insights into the functional versatility of an FHA domain protein in mycobacterial signaling. Sci Signal 12: eaav9504
- Gil M, Lima A, Rivera B, Rossello J, Urdániz E, Cascioferro A, Carrión F, Wehenkel A, Bellinzoni M, Batthyány C, Pritsch O, Denicola A, Alvarez MN, Carvalho PC, Lisa MN, Brosch R, Piuri M, Alzari PM, Durán R (2019) New substrates and interactors of the mycobacterial Serine/Threonine protein kinase PknG identified by a tailored interactomic approach. J Proteomics 192: 321-333
- Rieck B, Degiacomi G, Zimmermann M, Cascioferro A, Boldrin F, Lazar-Adler NR, Bottrill AR, le Chevalier F, Frigui W, Bellinzoni M, Lisa MN, Alzari PM, Nguyen L, Brosch R, Sauer U, Manganelli R, O'Hare HM (2017) PknG senses amino acid availability to control metabolism and virulence of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. PLoS Pathog 13: e1006399
- Lisa MN, Wagner T, Alexandre M, Barilone N, Raynal B, Alzari PM, Bellinzoni M (2017) The crystal structure of PknI from Mycobacterium tuberculosis shows an inactive, pseudokinase-like conformation. FEBS J 284: 602-614
- Lisa MN, Gil M, André-Leroux G, Barilone N, Durán R, Biondi RM, Alzari PM (2015) Molecular basis of the activity and the regulation of the eukaryotic-like S/T protein kinase PknG from Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Structure 23: 1039-1048
- Ventura M, Rieck B, Boldrin F, Degiacomi G, Bellinzoni M, Barilone N, Alzaidi F, Alzari PM, Manganelli R, O'Hare HM (2013) GarA is an essential regulator of metabolism in Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Mol Microbiol 90: 356-366.
Contact: Lionel Mourey (Lionel.Mourey@ipbs.fr)
Link to attend the seminar: https://meet.starleaf.com/4120091571/app
11:00 - 12:00